Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The GPs

I can't let this blog go too long before talking about the grandparents. They recently got the nursery off to a great start by buying us a crib and a changing table. Brant and I are both so thankful that we have parents who want to be involved and help us out with this baby. Financial help is always great, but it's the emotional support that we're really counting on.

For my parents, it's their first grandchild so they are extremely excited. My dad is a magnet when it comes to kids and I've seen how his face lights up when babies are around. He's going to be that somewhat quirky, really random grandpa that the grandkids absolutely adore. He is the most generous person I know, so the grandkids might be a bit spoiled, but isn't that what being a grandparent is all about? My mom loves kids, too. I know that she will do anything for this baby once it gets here and she will, of course, be part of that whole spoiling thing! And since I know next to nothing about babies, I imagine I'll be calling her every other hour or so with questions. Even if she gets annoyed, she'll never show it. She did a pretty great job raising my brother and me, so I'm thinking her advice is going to be more than just advice, something like wisdom.


For Brant's parents, it's their second grandchild so they are, well, extremely excited again. We've seen firsthand how they are with Mary Elizabeth and we look forward to adding another grandkid to the mix. Then, they don't have to share! Randy will teach little Owens how to make faces and noises that he/she won't make for anyone else. And Lana said she would come over and change all the diapers for me! (Just kidding!!!). Lana will make sure this child has everything it needs from day to day, and walking past the baby clothes department is now going to be twice as hard for her.



We are blessed. I know our parents will play a huge role in the life of this child. And while it's not likely that Brant and I would ever run out of love, even if we did, we know there is plenty of back-up out there for this little child. Love you grandparents!

4 comments:

Will Askew said...

CARTER!!!!

Erin said...

Um...what about the aunties?!?! Little Owens is going to LOVE their Aunt E.

Kari said...

Don't worry. There will be an Aunt/Uncle tribute at some point!

LaLa said...

We wouldn't miss this special time for anything! We can't wait to be a part of "littleowens" amazing life. Excited is really an understatment - we can't even begin to describe how excited we are - people kept telling us after Erin found out she was pregnant there was nothing like being a grandparent and we can truly say now that we've experienced it there is truly nothing like it and now we are just going to be doubley blessed!