Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Here's How It Happened...

Around 12:15pm on June 28, I was chatting with my mom on the phone. I had just told her not to worry about staying the night at the lake, because this baby wasn't coming anytime soon. I felt no pains or any changes that made me think her arrival was imminent. I was fully counting on the induction the following Wednesday. So I got off the phone, got up to use the restroom and sure enough, my water broke!

I yelled for Brant and after we both agreed that my water must have broken, I called the hospital. Since I told them I had not had any contractions, they told me to take my time, eat some lunch, pack our stuff and come on up within the next few hours. So, I jumped in the shower and Brant began packing up the car. As I was drying my hair, it hit... the first contraction. Ouch. Brant was trying to heat up some lunch but I told him I was in some pain and we were going to need to leave pretty quickly.


On the way to the hospital, I continued having contractions. I have no idea how far apart they were, but I do know that they hurt. We made it to the hospital and I signed in to Labor and Delivery, almost doubled over the counter. The secretary sent me straight to a delivery room, gave me a gown and told Brant that this baby was coming TO-DAY. We were both stunned. By this time it was about 2:00. The nurse checked me and I was at a 5! A 5! My body had shown no signs of this for four weeks and all of the sudden I'm at a 5! Reality hit pretty fast.


The nurse gave me a small dose of pain medication while I waited on the epidural. By the time my bloodwork had cleared and the guy came to give me the epidural, I was already at a 7. Again, contractions are painful. Once the epidural went into effect though, I was just fine. We called the family back and they all chatted for about an hour until the nurse came back to check me. I was at an 8 by this time. I had my mom come back and I was on the verge of telling everyone else they could come back in the room when my doctor stopped by. Luckily for me, she was on call that weekend. She was on her way to do another procedure but decided to check me real quick. Well, good thing because I was now at a 10 and ready to go. I think my doctor, who had seen over the last four weeks that my body was refusing to budge, was in shock!


After an hour of pushing, which is incredibly exhausting by the way, my little McKenzie shot out with avengence! If there are any doubters, just ask my mom. Let's just say she had to wash her clothes that evening! McKenzie came out crying and was a perfect little baby right from the start. By this time, it was 7:32pm and our lives had changed forever.

3 comments:

Amber Leonard said...

You could have left the shooting out part off, but other than that it sounds like an almost perfect labor & delivery! Can't wait to see you and meet your little girl!

Erin said...

OK, so what's your secret? Do I just need to hold my 2nd one in longer, that way I'm not at the hospital as long? I'm glad that you weren't in there as long as I was!

Kari said...

Amber- Sorry about the shooting out part but I was going for accuracy!

Erin- I have no freakin' clue what my secret is. Try complaining about being pregnant to everyone you know every day you go past your due date. That's pretty much what I did!