Sunday, July 26, 2009

First Road Trip

McKenzie and I ventured up to Fayetteville last week to spend some time with my parents. What a trip! My dad actually drove down to pick us up, which turned out to be the best idea. I was pretty nervous about driving up there all by myself. We just had to stop once to feed and change McKenzie so the trip went quite well.

The week was great! McKenzie took a stroller ride outside a few times and I was able to have lunch and dinner with friends (well, let's be honest, with a friend. I have just the one friend in Fayetteville). My parents got to spend lots of quality time with McKenzie, so they were thrilled. Mostly thrilled. There were those 2am and 3am fits of crying that my mom might not have described as quality time. She also saw her aunt and uncle again. I'm posting a picture of them with her that is actually from a few weeks ago. It's a good picture... they are annoyingly photogenic!

The biggest trouble we had was McKenzie's upset stomach. I am in the process of moving from breastmilk to formula and it wasn't exactly an easy thing to do. For one, I feel really guilty about it but I'm slowly getting over that. But two, it's hard to watch her in pain with an upset stomach! After switching to a formula for sensitive stomachs and mixing in gripe water (this is an herbal supplement that seems to work well for her!) I think McKenzie is doing quite well. She still gets an upset stomach at times, but not nearly as often or as bad. I can't thank my parents enough for helping me through this process. I could not have done it alone!

This week is going to be a big week for us. I'm going to try to take McKenzie on a few outings. Mostly quick trips to show her off to people and maybe have lunch a few times. I'm a little nervous about getting her out and about, but I know we'll make it. I'll try to post some more pictures soon.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

It sounds like you are doing very well! Gretchen had some stomach problems too, I did both breastmilk and formula. Make sure you're using a good bottle, that get's a lot of the air out (I liked the playtex drop ins). And gripe water is fantastic! Enjoy it; it goes by so fast!