Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Super Sister

McKenzie is a great  big sister.  I know I've mentioned it before on the blog, but I really can't overstate it and I want her to know just how great she was when she gets older and reads this for herself.  Also, Annie has yet to really get into McKenzie's toys, so this whole being a great big sister might not last too much longer.  For now though, it's heartwarming.  Just a few things that make me smile almost daily:

-McKenzie asking to hold Annie just about every morning.  She smiles and says "Good morning Annie Bean" in a sweet little voice once they are both awake.  She holds her and gives her a gentle squeeze.  And with the exception of the iPad picture, McKenzie asked me to take all of these pictures of her and Annie.  I think she's super proud!


-Annie lighting up when she watches McKenzie.  Annie isn't exactly stingy with her smiles.  Give her a few seconds and almost anyone can make her crack those chubby cheeks into that sweet smile.  But no one makes her smile bigger or longer than her sister.  Just the other day, McKenzie and I both walked into her room as Annie awoke from a nap.  She gave me a courtesy smile, but when she saw her sister, it was over.  She smiled as big as the sun and made some super excited little noises.


-McKenzie understanding Annie's needs.  No, they don't already have some crazy connection that makes McKenzie know exactly what Annie is crying for.  I'm sure that will come.  For now, it just amazes me that when I have to put play with McKenzie on hold to feed, change, rock or hold Annie, she just allows it.  Not once has she thrown a fit because I had to take a break from Cootie Game or come back inside to put Annie to bed.  It's been this way since the day we brought Annie home and I couldn't be more proud of McKenzie for understanding her baby sister's needs.


I am fully aware that this sister sweetness can only last so long.  Once Annie starts showing an inclination towards and the ability to obtain some of McKenzie's toys, I'm sure we will have more than a few fights.  Until then, I plan to enjoy these lovely interactions between the two of them.



1 comment:

Sheryl said...

They are so sweet Kari - I can't wait for Wesley and Natalie to interact like that!!