Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Not So Quick Cleaning

A few weeks ago McKenzie joined me for my biannual visit to the dentist.  I have been talking to my dental hygienist about bringing McKenzie for quite a while.  She recommended that I bring her to my usual cleaning, let her see what happens to me and then see how far we might get with her.  Well anyone that has a kid knows that something like a dentist visit is a total toss-up.  Despite how well you know your own child, you have NO IDEA how they might respond in a weird situation like this one.  Personally, I thought McKenzie might let the hygienist count her teeth.  Maybe.  As it turns out, I was dead wrong.  Once I finished with my cleaning and x-rays, McKenzie excitedly asked, "Is it my turn yet?"  The girl couldn't wait to get in that chair!

After settling in, she looked at all the dental tools, felt the little air and suction thingy on her hands and let the hygienist get to work.  She not only let her teeth get counted, but also brushed and flossed.  FLOSSED.  I was in disbelief.  She wasn't a huge fan of the water being sprayed in her mouth, once telling the hygienist that she didn't like it and finally saying outright, "I'm done with that one."  I mean, I'd hate for her to be completely compliant.  But overall, a hugely successful trip.


Starting things out...

Not even phased by this!

Smiling...ok, making a weird face... to show her clean teeth!

No comments: