Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Two Years Old

As of yesterday, McKenzie is officially two years old.  I almost can't believe it.  Two has come with so many challenges, but just as many reasons for joy.  About a month ago, we took McKenzie's pacifiers away.  That has been quite a challenge.  She has only asked for it a few times since then and never really cried about it.  However, she is having to re-learn how to soothe herself when it's time for bed.  Slowly but surely, the time it takes her to fall asleep is getting shorter but we have a way to go still.  I'll be quite happy to report to the doctor that the pacifier is gone at her next appointment.

Another challenge is that instead of meeting a baby's needs, we now have to get along with a little person that has their own personality, own wants and own ways of doing things.  There is such a fine line between meeting every need and raising a child who understands that they can't always get exactly what they want every minute of the day.  I think this, above all, is what exhausts me each day.  Usually, it's easiest to just give in, but I know to be a good mother, I can't always give in.  Luckily, I see McKenzie's maturing in this area every day.  As long as she's not super tired, I can normally explain to her why I'm not allowing something and she goes along with it.  This is especially helpful in Wal-Mart when she wants to ride the little airplane a dozen times.  I explain to her that we can ride it again next time and she hops off and heads to the car with me.  Note to everyone: take 50 cents if you plan to enter Wal-Mart with this child.

Other challenges we have are like so many others out there: getting her to eat healthy food, having her take a good nap so mommy can rest, teaching her to share, changing her diaper (she hates us doing this now!), getting her to change into pajamas or into new clothes for the day, etc.  Most of the challenges are approached with a healthy amount of bargaining and usually we get the job done.

Amidst the challenges, there are most certainly joys.  McKenzie is a huge talker and it's amazing to hear her pickup and use new words that are now turning into sentences.  I love the random moments in the car when she asks me to tell her stories about Kelly, Brinley and Brady.  Just when I'm in the middle of a great story, she usually changes things up by saying "hippo," at which point I have to work a hippo into my store about dragons and fairies.  It's just fun to communicate with her when you know that she understands what you are saying.

Another joy is watching her interests grow.  Anyone that is around her knows that music and dancing are probably her first love.  She will break it down anywhere: car, restaurant, church, anywhere she hears music playing.  Coming from a mom who was only ever interested in sports, I'm a little nervous about the possibility of raising a daughter who wants to take dance.  But then again, she shows a lot of interest in Daddy's softball games and she loves the trains that she got for her birthday so much that she takes them to bed with her.  So, there's hope yet!

All in all, two is tough.  But just when I'm close to putting her in timeout for using the dog's brush to brush the walls in the house, she grins, gives me a look and says, "where Bailey Boo?"  You can't put a child in timeout when you're laughing.  At just two years old, I think she already knows that truth.

Happy Birthday, Baby!

2 comments:

Elaine Welte said...

I can't believe how big she is!

Erin said...

There's no need to worry about her danncing interest! Just drop her off with Aunt "Ernin" and she will be in good hands. :) I can't wait to get her a tutu! ;)