Tuesday, June 23, 2009

To Leave or Not to Leave

According to weather.com, right now it feels like 109 degrees here in Little Rock. 109. That's nine degrees over 100 and that's reason number one that I'm against leaving the house today. Reason number two: people. If everyone in Little Rock could jointly agree to not look at or talk to me, I would face the heat and venture out in a second. But I hesitate because there will be that one unsuspecting, perfectly pleasant person who asks me today "Sooo... when are you due?" I fear my response might be something like "TODAY, lady. TODAY! I'm due TODAY and there's NO SIGN that it's happening. Contractions? Who knows?! I'm not exactly sure what they feel like because I've NEVER HAD A BABY BEFORE so I could be contracting right now or I might have never had one this entire pregnancy. And it's hot and my feet look like sausages if I stand for longer than a few minutes and frankly, I'm just tired of waddling around... a spectacle for all the world to see!"

And then see, I fear that I might start getting a less than stellar reputation around town. With all that said, here's why I have decided that I must leave the house. If I see one more HGTV show where they redesign a room for only $1000 dollars, I might throw something at the TV. I'm on to you, HGTV. It's pretty easy to redesign a great room on the cheap when you have skilled carpenters, plumbers, electricians and designers at your disposal for FREE. Do me a favor, tell me the real cost so I don't have to throw a shoe (that barely fits my fat feet) through the TV. Thanks.

Possibly cranky pregnant lady out.

8 comments:

Elaine Welte said...

You crack me up! Good luck. Nothing I could say would make it any better for you, but I, and many other women know exactly how you feel; hopefully she will be here very soon!

Rachel said...

i love you so much! you made my day!! mckenzie will come soon! I PROMISE!!!!!!!

brant said...

i am officially scared of my wife. i have held out this long from posting on this blog, but after reading this and listening to her ask me over and over again if i am ever going to post anything i figured if i want to make it through the night i better go ahead and post something. love, brant

Erin said...

first of all, i'm proud of you, bebo, for commenting! secondly, i'm so sorry kari that 10 am has come and gone with nothing! on the bright side (see, i'm trying to be positive for you!), you're not lying in the uncomfortable hospital bed for 2 days straight dreaming of biscuits and gravy while your family is out drinking ritas, when you only get to eat ice chips. in the meantime...just prop up your feet and let me and mary elizabeth bring you something to brighten you up!

Jill said...

oh my! i promise i will be your bodyguard and keep anybody from talking to you tomorrow if we go walking. call if you want to leave the house or i can come to you and we can watch food network instead of hgtv!!! i'll bring the cumin!

LaLa said...

This to shall pass and in a few short days it will all be a distant memory because the days ahead are going to be so much more fun and exciting than you could ever imagine! And all this misery will be worth it! Hang in there!

Kari said...

Thanks to everyone for your support! I did get out yesterday for a bit. I went to the one place I could think of where people might not talk to me... the library. And it was a success! I browsed around for a while, picked up a few books and only spoke to the librarian to verify my address.

Amy Blog Reader! ... Writer? said...

I just read this post! So funny. Library was a good choice, very cool there & you aren't supposed to talk. Perfect. I am with you on the HGTV thing. No matter what you are doing or having done it is alway the labor costs that get you! Aren't foolin' anyone!